Discover. Build. Become.
The Burlington School discovers in each child personal integrity; intellectual curiosity and social responsibility; builds excellence in academics, arts, and athletics and helps each student become confident and uniquely successful in school and in life.
The Vision and Guiding Principles of The Burlington School
• TBS is grounded in an exceptional educational program that inspires a love of learning and a quest for knowledge. The innovative and integrated curriculum challenges children to fulfill their unique potential as students and scholars.
• TBS nurtures integrity and personal responsibility as integral dimensions of children’s development, thereby preparing them to share their intellectual and creative talent for the fulfillment of their potential.
• TBS is committed to fostering and sustaining a school community that is inclusive and embraces diversity.
The Burlington School is an independent, nonsectarian, coeducational school which seeks to maintain a relaxed small school atmosphere in which each student can develop individually in an academically challenging, safe and secure learning environment. Developing habits of the heart and mind which include mutual respect, integrity and positive relationships form the cornerstone of the school’s program.
Recognizing that education is a life-long process involving the total person, we believe that our duty is to help prepare each student to become an independent, creative and critical thinker by providing a variety of experiences for achieving success. To this end our students pursue opportunities in the arts, athletics, community service and leadership within a traditionally structured academic environment.
The Burlington School fosters the development of the mind, body and heart that results in life-long learners who strive to make the world a better place.
As a member of The Burlington School, each student, staff and faculty member signs this pledge. It represents the core values our school is determined to live by, as well as the emphasis our students place on personal accountability and integrity in student life.
• Exhibit Friendship by being kind and considerate.
This means living in a state of mutual trust, acceptance and support with others in the community.
• Demonstrate Leadership by always doing my best as an individual and as a part of a team.
This involves taking responsibility for myself and the success or failure of my group and constantly making myself and my group accountable for improving the community.
• Embrace Citizenship by being responsible for my actions.
This includes fulfilling my obligations as part of a local, national and global community, such as volunteering my ideas and time, giving more than I take and sacrificing for the common good.
• Show Empathy by humbly respecting the uniqueness and gifts of others.
This includes demonstrating the ability to understand others who are different from myself and to see situations from different perspectives.
• Live with Integrity by being honest and truthful.
This includes not lying, cheating, or stealing, but rather being upright and moral in my decision-making because it’s the right thing to do, not because of a fear of judgment.
• Honor Perseverance by recognizing that great effort is necessary in any worthy task.
This includes displaying confidence in my ideas, following through on my commitments, standing up for what I believe in and viewing failure as a chance to learn.
• Be Passionate by celebrating the joyful, beautiful and enduring.
This includes experimenting with many pursuits to find my passion(s), engaging in it until I am the best I can be and striving to reach my full potential.
• Strive for Intellectual Excellence by pursuing scholarship and exploring my curiosities.
This includes learning broadly for the sake of knowing rather than grades while finding and expanding the boundaries of my knowledge.
I agree to live by this pledge and to help others do the same.